Tuesday, October 31, 2006

[THO] Full Time Ministry

I am hoping this is a bit provocative. I've been studying the clergy laity split in the Roman Catholic church and I am more and more convinced that the concept of Full Time Ministry is really just a longing for contemporary evangelical clergy. Prior to Vatican II the clergy were seen almost exclusively as those who have pursued a less perfect way. They were a sub-species of Christian meant only to follow the leaders. But Vatican II challenges this notion, especially in Lumen Gentium and Guadium et Spes. People of God is recovered as an image of the whole Church, not just the laity and the clergy are restored to a servant role and charged with the promulgation of lay action.

In the Protestant/Evangelical world we haven't caught up.

Instead of codifying the offices, we've created two classes of Christians. Those who ministry full-time (whatever that means) and those who are bums in pews. Before you jump on me, I'm trying to make a point. Of course there are many evangelical and protestant groups who have addressed this, but usually what is addressed at a denominational level takes forever to make its way to the adherants. So if you have busted this myth, kudos. But so often I encounter this myth alive and well in the people who attend our churches. Also even though Vatican II has made great strides, it is nowhere near pervasive in Catholic thinking either.

What is wrong with full-time ministry?

Well it may seem hypocritical for me to talk about full-time ministry disparagingly. I've spent many of my own years as a Christian primarily and sometimes only working for the Church. There is a need for a strong sense of direction and cohesiveness in the Church which comes primarily through good leadership structures. That isn't where the problem lies. The problem is when leadership is no longer part of the congregation but something else, an ideal and even an idol.

I've seen lots of young people with aspirations for full-time ministry, as if this were the ultimate in glamour roles in the Church. I think for some it appears that way. Working for something eternal seems to have a great appeal for a lot of ministry hopefuls. Heck in some of our movements you even get to wear funky garb! But there are three big issues that must be addressed, bubbles to be burst so to speak.

1) Full-time Ministry is not a guarentee of the faithful

Just because you gave your heart to Jesus, no one owes you a full-time ministry position. This is not the pinnacle of your walk with Christ, in fact it might very well be your downfall. Paul said not many should aspire to be teachers - be careful what you ask for.

2) Full-time Ministry is not a second class of Christian

Jesus loves all of us, in fact if He has a preference it is for the least in our midst, not the most well endowed (ministerially speaking). It is foolish to think that once you've arrived at full-time ministry you have arrived in the Kingdom. If that is your destination then you can get there quicker by bringing a basin and towel with you everywhere and washing feet - that is a much higher calling than pastor or priest. Those who wish to be greatest among you... look it up Jesus is quite clear about this.

3) Full-time Ministers have the same struggles as the rest of us

I think a lot of people see ministry as a refuge from sin, especially habitual sin. Let me let you in on a secret - we all struggle with sin. If anyone tells you otherwise then you can bet they are lying. There is no magic refuge in ministry, in fact ministry can be so draining that at times those temptations become unbearable. I know I've been in ministry a lot of years and had my fair share of struggles. The same grace is available for all of God's people - even the full-time ministers, so there is no benefit here for those looking for that easy out.

Now that I've burst those bubbles. If you still feel God calling you to devote more of your life to ministry, awesome! Like I said there are definitely roles that need to be filled. But I hope we fill them with those who are truly called. Those who will humbly take their place amidst all of God's people and be the servants of God that Jesus intended.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You address the point about Full Time Ministry very well there. God gifts each of us differently, if we were all ministers then we'd have some problems :)

One of Freedom said...

Thanks Tiefion. But I think we are all ministers - priests anyway. My issue is that we've adopted a sort of military ranking in the Church and lots of folks spend their time trying to climb these rank ladders instead of just being faithful to their baptism (which is the thing that makes us full members of the priesthood of believers anyway). No wonder we have pastor of just-about-anything in our churches these days.

One of Freedom said...

I should take on some of those issues you brought up another time. They are worth tackling. Pastoral ministry is indeed very challenging. In some regards we should all be "on" all the time, no matter what our vocational calling. My concerns have to do with a culture that has devalued the lay person working 9-5 in favour of more "spiritual" callings. Because of this the culture of "Full-Time" ministry as an ideal has emerged and presents some unique problems for the health of the Church.

When I started thinking about this I thought to myself, now here is a topic for a book. I'm beginning to think I was right.

Tim Kantel said...

This is a good topic Frank. I've read your post several times today and there's so many places to go with this that I have no idea where to start. Write some more when you have a chance.

Joshua Ritchie said...

Hey Frank,
Sorry for not keeping in touch lately. Been pretty crazy where I am right now. To be brief, I will be soon planting a church in California. So I've been busy moving and looking for work to support my family during the adventure. Hope to fill you in on more soon. God bless.

One of Freedom said...

Sounds great Joshua! I was wondering what happened to you. Keep me posted I'd love to be among those praying for you as this unfolds.

Anonymous said...

My comments are for your blog in general, not just this specific one.

Fascinating site. Are you Aspie/Huffer? Your level of detail and thought are amazing.

Regards

One of Freedom said...

Thanks. I've never had anyone ask if I was autistic before - I don't think I'm gifted in that way. I tend to have a very broad range of interests and focii which is not characteristic of autism. At least from what little I know. I have been known to be fairly hyper though, especially when I was younger.

Would love to hear your comments on the things you enjoyed the most here. Welcome to my blog.