Friday, October 20, 2006

[LIF] Book Find!


After the Anglican mass I decided to pop into the bookstore at school. Lo and behold sitting on the shelf in the most tempting fashion are two books I've really wanted for my library! Both by Teillhard de Chardin, The Phenomon of Man and the companion to that The Divine Milieu. Well I didn't have my wallet with me, travelled light to the service. So I took off to my locker debating the whole way. They were cheap, as far as books go that is: $17 and $16 dollars. So I buckled, grabbed my wallet and headed back. I also have this discount card that takes the average price of my last 10 purchases and gives me that as store credit, I was one book away from filling that up. Of course I don't just grab the two I want, but just below them is Alisdair McIntyre's After Virtue! Yup, the book Kenny told me I would like. All shrink wrapped and beautiful, like a siren calling me to the rocks. It was a tad more than the Chardin texts but that helped me with that dicount card. Turned out that from that dicount card, after buying After Virtue that is, I only had to pay for half of the Divine Milieu and Phenomon was free! Score!!!!!!

Unfortunately I spent much of yesterday reading After Virtue instead of doing my homework! Doh. I did manage to put together a working bibliography for my Ecclesiology paper though (thanks Peter), I also submitted a shift in my thinking for the Grace paper. What I would like to explore is how this inheritance of narrow personal grace/sin (Luther) has coloured the best (relational) and worst (fire insurance) of evangelical evangelism, with particular attention to how this contributes to our inability to respond to systemic/social sin/grace. Makes me wish I owned Church in the Power of the Spirit.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd love to hear your thoughts on MacIntyre in due time. I think his argument is a strong one, and needs to be engaged with by more Christians than it has - on top of Charles Taylor. I'm taking a class with a professor who sat on a panel with MacIntrye and Stanley Haurwas (sp?), and he was concerned by their deference for 'authority'. But, that said, he's an anarchist, so it makes sense that he should! :)

One of Freedom said...

I'll have to post as I go along. He's just starting in on the failings of emotivism which is interesting. I really shouldn't be reading it, I spent all day reading from Alfeyev in the morning and about 5 essays from Christianity and Ecology (excellent book BTW), finishing off with a chapter on the Kingdom, Israel and the Church from Ladd's The Gospel of The Kingdom.

Now to get ready for the lads coming over tonight to game!

Anonymous said...

Discounts and (semi) free stuff is always good, better yet when it's something you've really wanted.

One of Freedom said...

I was pretty excited, now the problem is to not get pulled into reading them at the expense of my required reading! As someone easily distracted this has always been my problem. Guess it is just yet another opportunity to work on self-control.

Welcome to the Freedom Log Teifion.

Anonymous said...

Thank you

Anonymous said...

Hi Frank,

Don't let books distract you from writing. Me? I really never let writing distract me from reading books. :( I can't seem to gain momentum writing the dissertation.

Could you believe it, i actually had a copy of the Church in the Power of The Spirit last year. I had it for the whole year. I thought it was mine, until somebody asked me to return it.

Thanks for the link.

Joey

One of Freedom said...

CP, If you haven't read Teilhard before you should know he is very technical and uses an odd language. He's the guy the new agers stole Cosmic Christ from. But his insights are really brilliant. He was banned for a long time by the Roman Catholic church. He is trying to take serious evolution history and sees God as calling creation forward towards life. This is how he reinterprets the Adamic fall, it is wild stuff. I enjoy his writings but don't pretend to understand it all.

Do you have a Library Thing? (www.librarything.com) I see you are a bibliophile as well which is awesome. What are the best books on the Church you have read? I am hoping to write a short Vineyard ecclesiology this semester (very short), but it has me thinking that a book on what it is to be a church in the Vineyard means, capturing our metaphors of family, community, center set, Kingdom and capturing Wimber's philosophy of ministry. I would love your suggestions. The only book I know that is like this is Venter's 'Doing Church'. I think that is a great book but I envision something a little more oriented for the non- or new Vineyard person.