Monday, October 16, 2006

[LIF] Preparing to Write

It is starting to get really busy. I have a good start on the last installment of the Worship series, but it might be a while. Expect a few more of these 'sanity' blog posts. Posts that help me get my ideas organized a bit.

I have three decent papers this semester and this is what I am researching/writing about, if you have book/article suggestions please let me know.

Ecclesiology = for this I am going to look at how the Kingdom Theology of the Vineyard affects its ecclesiology. So I'm reading and re-reading Ladds Gospel of the Kingdom, Dodd's Parables of the Kingdom, Fuellenbach's Church: Community for the Kingdom, Ventor's Doing Church, Carol Wimber's The Way it Was, Quest for the Radical Middle (Jackson) and watching a number of Wimber Videos I have. Oh and Breakthrough (Morphew).

Grace = this one isn't set in stone but I was thinking of looking at the nominalists influence on Luther's concept of grace. I have no texts identified yet for this one.

Eastern Theology = The only way I'm going to enjoy this is to do something I at least like about Eastern Christianity. So I'm going to examine their sacramental theology, specifically the Eucharist. I have Schmemann, Ware, Alfeyev, Mikloshazy and access to lots of Patristic writings (will likely ask for some direction there so I don't have to read everything). I need to narrow this topic thought, I figured I'd read Schmemann's For the Life of the World and figure it out from there. I'll have to use Zizuolas in the library, late night study here we come (groan).

Looks like I have my work cut out for me.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Regards Vineyard I recently read Martyn Percy's "Words, Wonders and Power" which examines Wimber's theology in particular. Not a great deal on ecclesiology to be fair but if you're interested I reviewed this here:
http://subrationedei.typepad.co.uk/sub_ratione_dei/2006/09/pa_hrefhttpsubr.html

One of Freedom said...

Interesting review Richard. The library at St. Paul has a few texts critical of the Vineyard that I've sat down with. I often find them frustrating as they seem to not see the Vineyard the same way I do. I've been a part of the Pentecostal/Charismatic community for many years now and the Vineyard tends to be the most rational of the lot. But I've also been around enough to know that there are still a lot of bad examples of what it is to be a Vineyard. That text might be helpful, I'm going to see how hard it is to get my hands on it. I think it is important to include voices both pro and against in an Academic effort.

Anonymous said...

If you really struggle pop me an email as I am happy to lend it out (it won't cost much to post out and i know where you blog to pester you for its return!)

I used this book for a section on my (admittedly highly personal) critique of revivalism which is here (it's a pdf file):
http://subrationedei.typepad.co.uk/sub_ratione_dei/files/please_lord_not_again.pdf


Richard

One of Freedom said...

I will do that, I would be surprised if it wasn't in the library though. I just haven't had a chance to go looking. I'm always surprised at what is in that monster of a library we have.

I actually took a look at one of your papers, and I think there is a lot I will find helpful there. Do you deal specifically with ecclesiology anywhere? I really need to find some references to modern West Coast Quaker eccelesiology to try and identify the influences Wimber brought to the Vineyard from there. I make a few assumptions but it would be nice to see if I am actually correct.

Anonymous said...

"west coast quaker ecclesiology"

now here you are getting far too specific for me! In this area I am far more of a generalist.

I have not really touched on ecclesiology although I am currently writing a brief paper on Walter Hollenweger's soteriology in which it will come up a bit.

I'd be interested in reading the paper when it's done though.

One of Freedom said...

Sure. I am thinking of approaching some of the more common Vineyard understandings of Church (community, family, philosophy of ministry, center set) as well as looking liturgical implications. Not sure what will end up in the paper yet, but I'm hoping it will be helpful for those wondering what exactly a Vineyard church is.