Tuesday, September 12, 2006

[LIF] Diametrically Opposed Classes

My Mondays are going to be very interesting. I swapped out my AM class for an afternoon one, I thought it would be a shame to spend so much time at St. Paul University and not take a course from the Eastern Studies department. I think I voiced my concerns here about the Eastern Christians I've had run ins with, I bit too cocksure for my taste. I think it bugs me because I used to be that way about the Vineyard - glassy eyed romantic. So I enjoyed the first class but the Professor John Jillions is not careful with his words. His Eastern pride crept out around his lecture. But this could also be a realization of how hopelessly Western I am in my thinking. So the stretch will be good but I'm going to cringe a fair bit.

Then that evening I had the joy of starting up a new class with Professor Heather Eaton. Eaton rocks! And this course is her area of specialty - Ecofeminism. It is going to be a tonne of work but I think, like other courses I've had with her, the payoff will be big. The course is called: Ecology, Justice and the Sacred. And I think we will spend most of our time looking at Ecojustice and Deep Ecology (like Thomas Berry, she is a Barryite). Funny thing is one of the Eastern boyz is in that class too. He does more than twitch, he keeps asking questions that expose his hopelessly Eastern ways of thinking. At least I won't be the only one squirming on Mondays.

1 comment:

Tim Kantel said...

Sounds like an interesting Monday for sure. Ask Ahren to tell you about the guy from his old youth group who then became and Eastern Orthodox priest. It's funny and very sad at the same time.