Friday, September 15, 2006

[LIF] Books this Semester

One of the coolest things about starting a new semester is getting my books, these are all books I know I will read, at least in part, over the semester. I'll probably purchase a few more when I nail down my research projects, but for now here is what I have scored!

Sweeter than Honey by Peter Bouteneff (required for course) - it is a bit better than I expected an apologetics for dogma would be, I love his one Pelagean statement - don't know how that got by the editors (post that one later for fun).
For the Life of the World by Schmemann (interest) - my buddy was wigging on Schmemann, this isn't the text recommended for my course but will likely frame my research paper.
The Mystical Theology of the Eastern Church by Lossky (recommended) - this was the old textbook for the course, bought it before I realized he changed the books, but it looks useful.
The Orthodox Way by Ware (recommended) - it was cheap and I'm hopelessly Western in my thinking so I need lots of fodder for this course.
Vatican Council II: Constitutions, Decrees and Declarations (required for course) - yeah now I have them all in one volume.
The Gift of the Church edited by Peter Phan (required for course) - yeah Peter Phan, I laughed too. So far it is pretty good, better be though it was the most expensive text so far this semester.
Experience and Language of Grace by Haight (required text) - this one is really good.
We Drink from our Own Wells by Gutierrez (required for course) - We are also reading from his Theology of Liberation but a classmate graciously copied the chapter we need from that one, wasn't that sweet? Thanks Marilyn!
The Mystery of Faith by Alfeyev (required for course) - This one starts out ok, for an Eastern text that is.

No comments: