Wednesday, January 03, 2007

[LIF] Kenny Tagged Me!

Kenny has tagged me to share five things about myself that you probably don't know. This is tough as I am a pretty public kind of guy. But you might not know that...
1. I played guitar on the main Worship Team for Assemblee '94 of the Canadian Baptist Federation. A big event here in Ottawa, we had Tony Campolo speaking to the youth. I was even on television as the only guitarist that could make the Sunday outdoor worship celebration. I was the second youngest member of the band, the drummer was a kicking young musician from Montreal. At the time I didn't own a guitar with a decent pickup so I borrowed one for the event.
2. I once tried to learn Hindi. As part of Mission Toronto (93ish) my team worked with Operation Mobilization and connected with a local Hindi congregation in Mississauga. The pastor, Solomon, was a wild man. I stayed with Prakash Masih's family and his father never spoke to me. I heard him share his testimony through a translator one night and it was amazing, so I started to learn Hindi to speak with him. When he realized what I was trying to do he began to speak with me in English! I was really gung ho on learning the language but after the missions trip I landed in Ottawa with no Hindi friends to continue with.
3. Going back even further, my Mom claims that as a toddler I would crawl around at the cottage eating flying ants! I just remember that these critters surfaced in a big way about once a year. I used to love taking a baseball bat and swinging it through the air for the tick, tick, tick sound.
4. I am a philatelist. That's a stamp collector Chris! sheesh. That might not be news to some of you, but what is really peculiar is that I love Machins. The two stamps above are Machins (named after the designer). I love them in all sorts of shades and in both sizes. I love them on letters, on postcards and in my dedicated Machin album. It isn't a queen fetish so much as a love of organizing. You see for only one design there are many variations including the invisible to the naked eye phospher tagging that was used by the post to help with sorting mail.
5. And finally, I hate computers! Yeah I know, I know, blogging and all that. In fact it is rare to see me without a computer for very long. But the fact is they frustrate and annoy me and I often wish I could go back to life without them. Computers have been an integral part of my life since as a young lad I programmed Apple IIs and Vic20s. My first personal computer was the Texas Instruments TI994A. I even taught software development at a college for two years! Apple started to undo me, up until then I couldn't imagine a powerful system that actually worked. But in the world of IT consulting it was less and less practical for me to carry around my old G3 laptop. So away it went and when my SCSI drive died in my 7300/180 I pretty much gave up on Macs. But now I have little patience for PCs, the computer is one of the few things that has the ability to provoke me to swearing! Yeah, I think that they were created by the devil himself, and I am not a fan of him either.

Well that's me, who to tag, who to tag: NakedPastor! You're it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, at least ants have protein?

One of Freedom said...

My Mom is fond of telling embarassing stories about my childhood, just be thankful I chose this more palletable story over the incident with the bee. Those in the know are rolling on the floor in pain as they read this. (That is the story I tell when I want to end a series of pain trumping stories, not too much can beat the bee story)

Anonymous said...

Very nice.