Tuesday, January 09, 2007

[LIF] Good News and Bad News

I showed up for my AM class only to find it cancelled, there were only two students registered. The prof. was there and stomped off after saying he couldn't run a course with only two students. I know it is not economically viable, but it could have been pretty rich to only have a couple of students.

The good news is that I managed to quickly switch into John Gibaut's Modern Church History class. I love Gibaut, he is very pastoral. I found him in the halls and he seemed happy that I was going to be a part of his class. I did Contemporary Church History and Liturgical Theology with him so far. He's the one who encouraged me to publish my paper on Primitive House Churches (or sit on it for some post-grad work which is the option I've left open). Also he's affirmed my calling to be a professor in the past. With a focus on the Reformation this should be a great class for me.

So far I've picked up some great books:
The Great Work - Thomas Berry
Evening Thoughts - Thomas Berry
Reformation: Europe's House Divided 1490-1700 - Diarmaid MacCulloch
God is Green - Ian Bradley

Coming from Chapters Online:
Intersecting Voices: Critical Theologies in a Land of Diversity - Dan Schweitzer
The Cambridge Companion to Liberation Theology - Christopher Rowland
A Theology of Liberation - Gutavo Gutierrez
Introducing Liberation Theology - Leonardo Boff

Coming from ChristianBooks.com (I'm trying them out for the first time):
The Challenge of Jesus - NT Wright
Gustavo Gutierrez: Essential Writings - James Nickoloff
Flame of Love - Clark Pinnock
God Will Be All in All: The Eschatology of Jurgen Moltmann - Richard Bauckham
Early Church Fathers Post-Nicene Volume 2 The City of God, Christian Doctrine
Early Church Fathers Post-Nicene Fathers Volume 1 rolegomena--St. Augustine
Early Church Fathers Volume 6 The Fathers of the Third Century
The Resurrection of Jesus - Gerd Luedemann
The Sayings of Jesus: The Sayings Gospel Q in English - James Robinson
Traffic in Truth: Exchanges between Science and Theology - John Polkinghorne
Faith in the Living God: A Dialogue - John Polkinghorne & Michael Welker
Christian Faith and Religious Diversity - John B Cobb Jr
Psychological Biblical Criticism - D. Andrew Kille
Experiences in Theology - Jurgen Moltmann
Adventures in Missing the Point: How the Culture-Controlled Church Neutered the Gospel - McLaren & Campolo
The Social Setting of Jesus and the Gospels - Wolfgang Stegemann, Bruce J. Malina & Gerd Theissen
Science and Wisdom - Jurgen Moltmann
The Kingdom and the Power The Theology of Jürgen Moltmann - Geico Muller-Fahrenholz
The New Historicism - Gina Hens-Pizaaz

(Kenny, I might not be able to consume as many books as you, but I sure can make my shelves look pretty with them).

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Frank, you've got some gems on there, including one of my favourite historians, MacCulloch. It's a fantastic book (and prize winner, I believe). Happy reading!!!

One of Freedom said...

I'm sure that one will get consumed in the course of my history class. Gibaut picked it and he usually has a great sense for texts.

Anonymous said...

did you win the lottery?

Jo said...

haha. i'm with you on the not being able to read quickly, but making the shelves look pretty. (i'm a masters in theology student). what are you getting your degree in?

One of Freedom said...

I wish David. I found some great deals, actually the ChristianBooks.com order came in today. I am a very happy man! I usually budget about $200 for books each semester. This allows me to do much of my research at home and be at home more with the family. I think it is worth it.

Hey Jo. I'm finishing up a BTh and moving right into a MTh at St. Paul University. Being a full time minister and father of two, you can imagine that this is taking me a while. I love it though.

Jo said...

naturally, it would take awhile! you get to read better books than i do at the master's level. i didn't know st. paul had such a good program.

One of Freedom said...

Where did you do your masters Jo?

St. Paul is an amazing school, with some really excellent profs.