Friday, November 24, 2006

[THO] The Divine Liturgy of Does This Ever End?


This was painful to get through. But it did give me a sense of what actually is going on. It is pretty hard to figure that out from words on a page. I was assuming a whole lot more of this was accessible to the people, boy was I wrong. I am not sure why it is so maddening to see a priest calling the occasional phrase over his shoulder at the people, but it is. I think what is more frustrating is that after watching this and pouring over the text I just don't get the sense of what Schmemann sees. It is going to be a long night.

1 comment:

One of Freedom said...

Just as an update, I decided to pull out a few of my favourite liturgical authors from the West, they helped me get my head around John C's liturgy. Funny I am hoping to discuss how it orients our hearts with the mingling of suffering and joy, but it takes some rational discussion to help me get there. Hmmmmm.