Friday, November 17, 2006

[THO] Lonnie Frisbee

I just ordered this video as well as Di Sabatino's The Jesus People Movement. I've been waiting a long time for both of these (really just an excuse to buy David's book). I'll have to review it here. Lonnie, for those who have never heard of him, was the figure who was central at the Mother's Day visitation that really shook up the Vineyard. He is so important that Vineyard historian Bill Jackson devoted a whole appendix to Lonnie. He was also, ironically, a major figure in the roots of the Calvary Chapel movement (sorry Hannegraff). But what is even more interesting, this lightening rod for God died in relative obscurity because his whole life he struggled with homosexuality. The fact that God so powerfully used a gay man really ruffles feathers. Let you all know when it arrives!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

i want to know more about lonnie... i had been reading William Stringfellow and Henri Nouwen to discover later that they both also struggled with their sexuality. This is an important issue! I can't wait to hear more.

One of Freedom said...

Yeah, I really appreciate Nouwen's honesty. I think this is far from a cut and dry issue. Unfortunately there has been so much mud in the water that it is hard to navigate. I've had the fortune of quite a few gay friends over the years, and honestly I struggle with how I feel about homosexuality. I think there is much more wrestling with this ahead for the evanegelical church. My hope is that we won't simply further alienate homosexuals as we try to work our way through this. After all Lonnie's life proves that God can even move powerfully through the lives of those who are homosexuals.

Anonymous said...

It'd be great to hear your thoughts. I have stumbled across the Lonnie Frisbee website a few times and keep wanting to read up on him.

Matt said...

Sounds interesting. Morphew talks about Frisbee a lot when recounting the "early days" of the Vineyard. I'd always wondered what had become of him, but now I'm starting to understand that the whitewash got broken out...

One of Freedom said...

Well, I told my wife and I'll have to wait until Christmas to watch it. But at least I'll have a copy to watch.

Matt, that makes sense as Lonnie went to Africa after the States. Apparently he was part of another significant movement there, at least until his sexuality caught up with him. He died pretty much friendless, Schuller buried him (one of his few friends). I'll definitely post my thoughts.

Margaret Kimosop said...

Good food for thought!