Tuesday, November 07, 2006

[LIF] Haggard and Joseph

My buddy Joseph emails a semi-daily newsletter called Coffee Jesus. Yesterday he was lamenting the responses to Ted Haggard's indescretion. Of course Joseph didn't name Ted, but a quick look at my Yahoo! showed me the story. I think Joseph was more upset at how the Christians were responding to this tragedy. When I read it my heart was very sad for everyone involved, but mostly for Ted who will likely always have this shadow over him. Christians are not good at dealing with their heroes floundering, we tend to shoot our own wounded. Joseph also included this tounge in cheek video of the Americanization of Jesus - but I took no comfort in its jangly song (but maybe you will).

I would encourage you all to pray for your pastors and leaders. I think a big part of the problem is found in our ecclesiologies that just don't work. I could also have some interesting comments on the pressures of a mega-church. I also could find many issues to disagree with my brother Ted about and maybe point a finger there. But no matter what it always boils down to our own responsibility in our own affairs. And when we are honest with ourselves we dare not think if we were in Ted's shoes we would do any better. So let's pray for the Haggards as well. God let your love rest on your servant. Thank you for the courage in you he has found through all this. Protect and restore his family. And God have mercy on us all, for we all have the capacity to go where our brother has found himself.

3 comments:

Chris Tilling said...

Amen, thanks for not being another Haggard basher.

He's done wrong, no denying that, but lets accept that and pray for the man, his family and flock.

Steve said...

You are absolutely right. If the spot light was to shine on us, how well woud we fare beneath it. I pray that restoration can be brought to his life and that he can move forward from here.

Tim Kantel said...

Your right on here Frank. I actually just finished a quick post on my blog too as something about the reaction to all this has troubled me. I focused on his statement released to his church which can be found on the church website.

I've heard Haggard speak in person a few time and was impressed with his teaching. Agree with his politics or not, as I mentioned he's still done a ton for the Kingdom and we should never forget that.

I preached on hope this weekend at church and told a little bit of my story which is about hope lost and hope regained. I pray too that Haggard can find his hope again and that it is truly founded in the cross.