Wednesday, May 14, 2008

[THO] Building a Church?

I have come to realize something: I don't really want to build a church. Now that sounds like an odd statement, even dead wrong if you know how passionate I am about church planting. But what I realized is that I am less concerned with building a church than I am with building THE CHURCH.

Now I'm not saying that Freedom is THE CHURCH, but I sure do believe that we are a part of THE CHURCH.

But where this really makes sense for me is in the fact that I'm not really that passionate about my church being any more or less than what God wants. I'm really quite happy with doing what we did tonight (we had an awesome service, tonnes of prayer and just a sweet presence of God's Spirit) if that is what it is that is our gift to THE CHURCH.

Building a church only makes sense if we are building THE CHURCH. I think that this is a key issue for pastors today. We have this sort of success mentality that says building a church proves I'm useful and valuable. Really it only proves we have the ability to make a church. I can't help thinking of Wimber hearing God say, "I've seen your ministry John, meh. Now let me show you mine." I wonder how many of us would hear that same thing if we stopped long enough to listen.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wherever the gospel is proclaimed in it's purity and the sacraments are administered in accordance with that gospel...there is the Church.

Hand Christ over...freely (Freedom!)

Christ will open the ears, the hearts, and the minds. he will always take care of His Chruch.

Keep on keepin' on!

- Steve Martin San Clemente, CA

Uncle Les said...

I totally agree, Frank. I drive around now in a taxi and tell people about Jesus and this is my church right now. It is not because I want to be "out there" or "e-merging". It's just that we are called to be Jesus however and wherever he calls us.

I think you are doing a fantastic job.