Thursday, May 01, 2008

[THO] AAR Newbie

Tomorrow I hop in my Vue with my friend Jessica (we have the same research director) and drive to Montreal. It will be my first experience of the American Academy of Religion. Of course this is a regional event, the full meal deal is in Chicago in November. But I'm really looking forward to it.

I was too overwhelmed with courses this year to respond to the call for papers. Too bad, I understand it is easier to break in through the regionals. My attempt to find a place to present in Chicago was not even acknowledged? Oh well, it was a bit close to the first deadline. What I need to do is a bit of networking and figure out where I fit into this wacky world of academic theology.

I was able to find at least one interesting session in each time slot, hopefully I'll make some new friends. I really don't know too much what to expect. Tomorrow evening I am staying with some dear friends in the city, so if it is too crazy, I have at least that refuge.

I return Saturday, just in time to compose myself for preaching on Sunday. I'm guest speaker at another local Vineyard. I'm planning on talking about being a missional community. We'll see.

I'll be sure to let you know my book finds at the conference.

No comments: