Tuesday, September 26, 2006

[THO] Eastern Rose Coloured Glasses

I am surprised, no slightly shocked, how Eastern Christianity seems to have a warm and fuzzy attitude towards things that should be shocking. This has to be a byproduct of their epistomological starting points. There seems to be a basic assumption that old is better which I find troubling, to say the least. A lot of movements begin with an incredible romanticism for the past, "we are building the pure New Testament church!" But these romantic notions do give way to reality as the movement grows up. But it is exactly this that I find in the Eastern Church. Don't get me wrong, I love some aspects of the Eastern Church, especially their sense of mystery. But to affirm the heirarchy as some from of godly community betrays its entrenchment by Ignatius as a reaction to the problem of church governance. Worse, Eastern writers like Bouteneff (Sweeter than Honey) even want to compare the Trinity to the Hierarchy - wasn't Sabellianism condemned by their own councils? But I can get over mistakes in structure and thoelogy - it is how the language to describe these aspects is filled with glowing wonder that bugs me? But maybe I just don't get it. I'm sure Bouteneff doesn't speak for all Eastern Christians. And I must say that I appreciate that they hold the Patristic tensions intact, they live with the tension of a complicated dialogue which is admirable. But you would think they would carry that same spirit on and bring something fresh to the ongoing conversation of theology. For better or worse the early church fathers were not afraid to engage with their contemporary culture and philosophy. Even though there is much I disagree with in their writings I don't think they would be happy with the fundamentalist posturing of the Eastern Church. But perhaps the lesson they took from the confusion of the past is that it is safer to "have all the answers". How many protestant movements are guilty of the same mode of fear? Maybe we aren't as far apart as it first seems? Maybe this is why it so truly bothers me.

God save me from my own pride of knowledge. God forgive me for thinking I have such a firm handle on truth. Lord come and show Yourself strong, break the back of all arrogance in your Church. Lord, we all need you. Amen.