Monday, April 30, 2007

[LIF] Dimanche du Bon Berger

Hey all, I have been enjoying my one week off immensly. I started by guest worship leading at Hosanna and ended yesterday guest speaking in Montreal. It was a hoot to have a translator and what a great congregation they have at Vineyard House X! If you live in Montreal I heartily recommend checking out this church. We went to Bofingers after for ribs, holy mackeral they were the best ribs I've ever had!

I have been reading Peter Singer's One World and it isn't helping my "America love" any. Singer can be a bit on the radical edge, but he makes very good points about the importance of Kyoto. I am still upset at my own governments half-ass efforts on issues of the environment. We really need a change politically. Thank God for David Suzuki who has the nuts to stand up against our environment "minister".

I have also been trying to get ready for CanGames which is next month. I am really excited because this year I am running five game sessions (D&D minis and Injurious). I'm still making terrain for our uber match, and I should have enough terrain at the end of this to last me a lifetime.

Classes start again for me tomorrow. I only have two left, History of Philosophy and the Ethics of Globalization (hence the Singer book). I am so stoked for the Ethic course as the prof. is a friend of mine from the school, she just finished her doctorate in Feminist Economics. I have a lot of respect for her work. Should be awesome.

My French studies are progressing, slowely but they are coming. I used powerpoint slides in Montreal and did most of the translation, with corrections from my friend Gabriel. I was happy that I did as well as I did on them. It is really painful trying to articulate something in a language that you have limited vocabulary with. I'm confident I'll get there by the end of the summer, I won't be conversational but I will be able to read. There is a lot of French radio for me to semi-immerse myself here in Ottawa. I just have to make the plunge into conversational French at home and with my francophone friends.

That's what has been keeping me from posting. I still have lots to do before I go back to school tomorrow night.

2 comments:

Steve said...

Bonne chance avec tes études et laisse moi savoir quand tu veux parler en français.

One of Freedom said...

Merci mille fois mon ami. I will take you up on that for sure. I am going to need all the help I can get.