Saturday, May 13, 2006

[THO] Architects of Hope

Just finished reading Jürgen Moltmann’s “Progress and Abyss: Remembrance of the Future of the Modern World” from The Future of Hope (Volf & Katerberg, editors). What a profound piece. It is a kick in the pants for all Christians, especially those who live in the privilege of the Western world. His political criticism is of our apathy rather than our mode. He sees our “view [of] democracy as a condition we possess, not as a process we are involved in” as the root of the problem. (p.20) I couldn’t agree more. Which is scary because I’ve often tried to distance myself from things political. Moltmann points out that “there is no such thing as nonpolitical Christianity” which is what I have begrudgingly discovered. (p.22). And he calls the Church to be the architects of hope (not the Kingdom of God – rightfully rejecting this ‘we are building the Kingdom of God’ nonsense so prevalent in mainline Christianity) for a world that has had its high enlightenment dreams dashed to the ground. If you get the chance this article is a definite worthwhile read.  

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

POMO REV!!!!!!!!
IT'S POULSEN!!!
I MISS YOU!!!!
I AM GUNNA TRY AND GET TO OTTAWA SOON TO VISIT YA'LL!!!!!!
-THE KENNY MAN!!!

One of Freedom said...

Poulsen!

Do it man! I'd love to see ya.

Maybe even play a bit of Whirly!

Frank