Wednesday, November 29, 2006

[LIF] Not sure if I am Crazy, but...

Christianity.ca emailed me a while back wanting to re-run my article on Poker from Christian Week. I hesitantly agreed provided they fix up some editorial mix ups from the Christian Week version - the friends I talk about in the intro are not fundamentalist whack-jobs like the Christian Week version could lead you to believe. They are simply concerned, like many conservatives about the Poker craze and its effect on young people in particular. So today it came out here. In some ways I am happy to share our experiences. But the only letters that I saw come back from the Christian Week run were not even worth responding to. Maybe there will be some good discussion generated this run, but it is interesting that they came after me for this article. I suspect partly because no one else dares write it. I imagine in some denominations it would be akin to coming out of the closet. "You play poker? Don't know you that will make you go blind and cause your kids to rebel???"

Anyway I was comforted when another Vineyard's weekly letter hit my inbox announcing Poker on the agenda at a midweek gathering. I'm not alone, and once again God is reminding me I am in the right family. I might be the quirky emergent fellow in Ottawa, but they know how to make me feel loved. I would really love to hear your comments on the article, even if you hate it and think I'm going to burn in hell over it.

3 comments:

Tim Kantel said...

I played real Texas Hold'em for the first time a couple of weeks ago and had a blast! And yes it was with a bunch of Christians.

I think with a little more teaching and patience I could really get into this game. I'm writing this without reading your article yet but I'm going to read it as I've heard you talk about it before.

Thanks for stirring the pot Frank (no pun intended).

Anonymous said...

i'm in!

One of Freedom said...

What an awesome idea Scott! I think we'll do that one night. I'm glad the article encouraged you, that makes the potential backlash all worthwhile to me. Man I really like Negraneau I'll have to look for that interview. Thanks for the comments.