Saturday, September 24, 2005

Online Poker

So I don't know how many of you play poker online but it is a lot of fun. Over in the Christian Gamers Guild we have been debating the moral aspect of games - that is can a game have no redeeming value. Actually it goes a bit further because for some a game can be considered sinful. This all came up when one of the members said what do you do with these games, where one was a card version of Russian Roulette and the other was a game that simulated getting drunk and stoned (even glamourized it). Can games like that have any redeeming value? It is a really good question.

The issue of black and white areas comes up a lot in the ongoing debate. My big beef here is that I am not sure these games fall into the black and whiteness that some want to pin on them. While I haven't seen the games, I have a hard time imagining what mental leap is required to go from a chance cardgame to actually sticking a loaded gun to your temple and pulling the trigger. And even if someone were to make that leap - does that imply the "game" was evil and made him do it? It is a weak argument to say that a game did it anymore than to say Ozzy is responsible.

Now don't get me wrong, I wouldn't promote these games. I don't really see a draw to them myself. But the scenario presented with them is what do you do if you find a believer playing one of these games and (heaven forbid) enjoying it? It is also a great question.

While some would want to make sure they pointed out that these games were sinful and innappropriate for a Christian, I have argued for an approach of grace. Just because I can't envision enjoying these games or finding them edifying, that doesn't mean someone else couldn't. What I really want to say is that I don't want to be quick to judge. If it came up for sure I would voice my discomfort, but that is not an excuse to jump on someone. At least that is the way I see it.

For example, I didn't qualify my enjoyment of online poker. I play in freerolls, but I am not willing to put any of my own money at risk. I play for fun and you know what I even had an opportunity to pray for someone at the table one night. God can even work through that - imagine.

So next time you log onto your favourite poker site - look for pomorev (Post Modern Reverend), that is most likely me. Having a great time. Meeting new people. Hoping to win some money without spending a dime. And all the while loving Jesus.

No comments: