Saturday, March 06, 2010

Lot Up In The Air

This has been a brutal start of the month. First I feel like apologizing, I am the hold up on the A Secular Age reading group. I just have too many things on the go. We also had a relationship go south on us, which has been hard on the whole family. I am happy this hasn't happened very often for us, but when it does it hurts. I think we are starting to get settled again. But I'm also missing deadlines, which is not like me. I was supposed to have my thesis proposal in to my director on Monday. I pushed it to Tuesday and handed something in Friday. My director has also been sick this past week. It is not the end of the world if I have to defer to September, but it is frustrating. A big part of the frustration is that I did not guard my time properly. The thesis proposal is a huge piece of work. One of the areas that I was hoping to critique is evangelical social engagement proposals - but the more I research the more really good ones I find. Where the deficit is is amongst the popular writings and that is much harder to get at and justify writing a thesis on. Hence, it is way more work than if my initial critique held up across the board. And to compound this frustration, I am delighted to find that evangelicals do some fine theology, but having studied in a Catholic institution for so long I am just now discovering it. I have been ordering books like crazy, reading and realizing the richness I've been missing. Now I have to sort out a whole theological culture and my assumptions about that culture. What this means is I will have my head down for a while yet.

Some good news. I am presenting two focused interaction groups at the Vineyard National Gathering this summer - one the fire Ladd lit for Wimber and the other on Post-modern Hermeneutics. I'm also presenting at Congress 2010 (Montreal) for CETA (Canadian Evangelical Theological Association) on evangelicals, language and consensus. And I'm running a custom gauntlet style scenario at CanGames this year - going to start working on the terrain soon.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

No worries bro! The reading group is supposed to be a fun thing! :-) I too am bogged down right now it being the Lenten season. I am overloaded as well. Stick to what needs to be done, Taylor isn't going anywhere. I'm sure no one is pressuring you about the reading group bro! :-)

Kenneth Sheppard said...

Frank, maybe we can juggle the readings? I return to Montreal next week, and should be able to hammer something out in a couple of hours...

One of Freedom said...

That would be fine Kenny. We have a new deadline - 5 more days. That is as far as I can extend submitting my proposal, provided this will work for my committee. Going to be an intense week, but then I should be able to catch up.

steven hamilton said...

hey frank...i know you have a lot going on, but did you know jason clark has begun a series (it'll take about 10 weeks) on re-imagining Vineyard distinctives...and this week there will be a few posts considering the first: The Bible: Having a passion for the bible, with a centrality and confidence in bible for the Christian life.

here is the link:http://deepchurch.org.uk/


again, i know you are slammed and uber-busy, but i think we might all appreciate your thoughts, especially re: your post-modern hermeneutics...