Tuesday, January 29, 2008

[THO] Can't Go Back and the Future Is Up For Grabs

I'm struggling to read french this semester, it is tiring. I read about 8-10 pages per hour (I can read about 10 times as fast in English!). I liked this quote concernign the development of Gaudium et Spes:

[I]l qualifie l’inquiètude modern en l’attribuant à une «accélération de l’histoire qui impose la présence envahissante de l’avenir avec ses angoisses» : dans la modernité technicienne, «l’homme est engagé dans un progrès irréversible» et en même temps «imprévisible».
Philippe Bordeyne, L'homme et son angoisse, 2004.

There is hope when we recognize that we are part of a motion of history and that we can't turn back the hands of time no matter what romantic notions we have. When I hear about the return to pre-Vatican II rites and the undoing of the liturgical reforms that led to Vatican II I think they should go back and read the documents of Vatican II. In some ways these documents hardly go far enough to address the issues of our day, but if you look at their context, they are incredible advances in maturing the Roman Catholic Church.

No comments: